If you'd like to import credits, SmartDebit offer an import facility to do so quickly and easily! Just follow the steps below:
1. Download the attached template document (located at the bottom of this article) entitled "SD Direct Import File1".
2. Populate the respective columns with the data of all of your payees.
- Leave all of Row 1 (Title Bar) completely as it is.
- The Green fields are all mandatory, you can complete the other fields if you wish to add further detail otherwise, SmartDebit will do this on your behalf.
- Ensure you do not enter any special characters as these will be rejected.
The data within the fields should be populated as below:
- Destination Account Name
- Payee's Account Name. This must be 6-18 characters and contain no special characters. If the account name is too long - simply abbreviate as best as you can.
- Destination Sort Code
- Payee's Sort Code. This should be entered in a 6 digit format i.e. 000000
- Destination Account Number
- Payee's Account Number. This should be entered in an 8 digit format i.e. 00000000
- Payment Reference
- This is the reference which will appear on your Payee's bank statement along with the credit.
- The Amount you wish to credit your Payee
- Transaction Code
- This willl always be "99" as this is the Transaction Code for all Credit Payments.
- Realtime Information Checksum (Optional)
- This is required by HMRC when importing Credits for Payroll. For more information on RTI (Realtime Information Checksum) please click here.
- Pay Date (Optional)
- This can be set up to 31 days in the future however, if left blank, this will be calculated by the system for the first available date (2 working days post import).
- Originating Sort Code (Optional)
- This field only needs to be populated if the Sort Code differs from those held alongside your Service User Number.
- Originating Account Number (Optional)
- This field only needs to be populated if the Account Number differs from those held alongside your Service User Number.
- Originating Account Name (Optional)
- This field only needs to be populated if the Account Name differs from those held alongside your Service User Number.
3. Delete the instruction block underneath your data.
This is all of the information from the black line and below.
4. Save the file as a CSV (MS-Dos)
This will mean all other tabs and any formatting will be removed. Therefore it's a good idea to keep the file open whilst you import.
5. Import the File onto SmartDebit Direct
- You can do this by either selecting the "Upload a File" section on the homepage:
Alternatively, you can go to the "SD Direct" Tab and select "Upload a File"
- Either browse for the file or drag and drop it onto the pop up window.
- Click upload!
6. Fix any Errors
The system will flag up if the file contains any errors and allows you to rectify these by selecting "Fix Invalid Rows".
You also have the option to download invalid records if you wish to amend and import these at a later date.
7. Approve the file
Once all errors have been fixed you will be able to approve the file. Depending on your levels of Authentication this may be done by only specific users or via a Yubikey.
You will also be given the option to notify any other colleagues
8. Authorise the file
Once Approved you will be able to Authorise the file. Depending on your levels of Authentication this may be done by only specific users or via a Yubikey.
9. Submit the file
Once Authorised you will be able to Submit the file. Depending on your levels of Authentication this may be done by only specific users or via a Yubikey.
This then sends your file through to us here at SmartDebit to send off to Bacs for you. All Credit Files must be received by 4pm in order to not miss the cut off period