If you'd like to import a large amount of new payers, SmartDebit offer an import facility to do so quickly and easily! Just follow the steps below:
1. Download the attached template document (located at the bottom of this article) entitled "Import File Format Layouts".
The tab you will be using within this document in order to import your New Payers is the "Simple Payer File Example" tab.
2. Populate the respective columns with the data of all of your new payers.
- Leave all of Row 1 (Title Bar) completely as it is.
- The Green fields are all mandatory, you can complete the blue fields if you wish you update the charges at the same time as importing the payer.
- Ensure you do not enter any special characters as these will be rejected.
The data within the fields should be populated as below:
- Bacs Reference
- Your Unique Payer Reference. This must be 6-18 characters and contain no special characters. If you have requested that SmartDebit generate your references for you, you can use this field to enter your "Customer ID".
- Account Name
- Payer's Account Name. This must be 6-18 characters and contain no special characters. If the account name is too long - simply abbreviate as best as you can.
- Sort Code
- Payer's Sort Code. This should be entered in a 6 digit format i.e. 000000
- Account Number
- Payer's Account Number. This should be entered in an 8 digit format i.e. 00000000
- Payer's First Name. This must be 1-32 characters and contain no special characters.
- Payer's Surname. This must be 1-32 characters and contain no special characters.
- Address 1/ Town/ Postcode
- Payer's Address. Each field must be 1-32 characters and contain no special characters. If the payer has not provided their address you can simply enter "X" into this field.
- Email Address
- Payer's Email Address. This must be 1-64 characters and must be entered so that the payer receives all correspondence.
- Freq Type (Optional)
- The Frequency Interval that you wish to debit your payer in the following format: "M" (Monthly), "Q" (Quarterly), Y (Yearly). Note: If you take Adhoc payments, this must be left blank.
- Regular Amount (optional)
- The regular amount you wish to debit from your payer. (If £10.00 per month this would be 10.00)
- First Amount (optional)
- If you wish to debit a different first amount to the regular amount you can utilise this field.
- Start Year/ Start Month/ Start Date (optional)
- The date you wish the first payment to be taken. This is to be formatted YYYY, MM, DD.
3. Delete the instruction block underneath your data.
This is all of the information from the black line and below.
4. Save the file as a CSV (MS-Dos)
This will mean all other tabs and any formatting will be removed. Therefore it's a good idea to keep the file open whilst you import.
5. Import the File onto SmartDebit
- Go to the "Upload" tab and select "Upload New File"
- Either browse for the file or drag and drop it onto the pop up window.
- Select "Payer" as the file type and "New Payers" as the type of payer file.
- Click upload!
6. Fix any Errors
The system will flag up if the file contains any errors and allows you to rectify these by selecting "Fix Invalid Rows".
You also have the option to download invalid records if you wish to amend and import these at a later date.
7. Complete the file
Once all errors have been fixed you will be able to finish processing the file by selecting "Process Rows".
You will then have successfully imported your file and will be able to view your new payers within the system
- How do I create a collection file
- How early can you set up a new DD before the first payment is due?
- Payer Sign-Up Methods